Effective Date: February 17, 2024
Who Does This Policy Cover?How Can You Contact Us?
This Policy applies to personal information we collect both online and offline, including when you access or use our websites and mobile application (collectively, the “Services”), shop in our stores, attend our events, outings, or trips, contact customer support, or otherwise interact with us. In some cases, we may provide different or additional policies or notices about our information practices. For instance, if you reside in California, Colorado, Connecticut, Utah or Virginia, our U.S. State Privacy Notice applies in addition to this Policy.
How is This Policy Updated?
Outdoor rental may change this Policy from time to time. If we make changes, we will notify you by revising the Effective Date above and, in some cases, we may provide you with more prominent notice (for example, by adding a statement to our homepage or sending you a notification), such as in connection with making material changes to this Policy. We encourage you to review this Policy regularly to stay informed about our information practices and the choices available to you.
What Personal Information Does Outdoor Rental Collect?
Information You Provide to Us. We collect information you provide directly to us. For example, we collect information when you become a member; make a purchase or rental from us; access and use our Services (including when you write a review or participate in other interactive areas of our Services); create an online account or profile; sign up for or participate in contests, promotions, sweepstakes, customer experience research, surveys, mailing lists, events, outings or trips; engage with us via social media platforms; and when you email, call, chat, or otherwise communicate with us.
The types of information we may collect include your name, address, phone number, email address, ZIP code, photos, videos, social media usernames, demographic information, information about your interests, outdoor activities, and preferences, the content you post to the interactive areas of our Services, and any other information you choose to provide. If you make a purchase from us, we work with third party payment processors to collect and process your payment information.
If you sign up for an REI event, outing, or trip, or in other limited circumstances, we may collect additional information from you, such as medical, health and disability information, passport information, dietary requirements, information about your fitness condition, and certain physical characteristics and emergency contact information.
In some cases, we may also collect information you provide about others, such as when you provide emergency contact information, purchase a gift card for someone and request that we deliver it electronically, decide to purchase and ship products to someone, or create and share a gift registry. We will use this information to fulfill your requests and will not send communications to your contacts unrelated to your requests unless they separately engage with us or consent to receive communications from us.
Information We Collect Automatically. When you access or use the Services or shop in our stores, we automatically collect certain information about you, including:
- Transaction Information: When you make a purchase or return, rent equipment, or register for events, outings, or trips, we collect information about the transaction, such as product details, purchase price, and the date and location of the transaction.
- Device and Usage Information: We obtain information about the device you use to access our Services and your use of our Services, including the type of browser you use, hardware model, operating system and app version, mobile network information, IP address, unique device identifiers, access times, pages viewed, items placed in your cart, links clicked, browsing behavior, and the webpage you visited before navigating to our Services.
- Audio and Video Recordings, Photos, and Chat Content: We capture photographs and video recordings in our stores and other facilities for security and loss prevention purposes. If you contact customer service through our chat feature or by phone, we may monitor and retain those conversations, including for training purposes.
- Precise Geolocation Information: In accordance with your device permissions, we may collect information about the precise location of your device. You may stop the collection of precise location information at any time (see the Location Information subsection within the What Are Your Privacy Rights and Choices? section below for details).
Information We Collect from Other Sources. We may also receive information about you from other sources. For example:
- We receive information from our partners that provide, lead, co-sponsor, or co-promote REI experiences (events, outings, and trips), such as contact information and feedback participants provide.
- We collect change-of-address information, demographic information, and information about consumer preferences, interests, and opinions from data analytics and advertising partners.
- If you create an account or access our Services using credentials from a third-party social media platform (such as Facebook), we have access to certain information from that platform, such as your name, email address, friends list, and public profile information, in accordance with the authorization procedures determined by that platform.
- We collect content you disclose publicly in connection with our products, services, or campaigns, including photos, videos, and profile information.
- If you apply for certain co-branded financial products, we receive certain information from the financial institution we partner with, including whether your application was approved or denied, account closure information, and aggregated information about your transactional history.
- We may collect information about you from other users if they choose to disclose that information with us via the Services, such as if they purchase gifts for you.
Information We Infer or Derive About You. We may derive information or draw inferences about you based on the information we collect. For example, we may infer that you are looking to purchase new hiking gear or other products based on your website browsing behavior and past purchases, or we may use your IP address to draw inferences about your approximate location.
How Does Outdoor Renal Use Your Personal Information?
We use the information we collect about you to provide the products and services you request and customize your experience with us. We also use the information we collect to:
- provide, maintain, and improve our Services;
- facilitate and improve your in-store and online shopping experience;
- administer your membership and communicate with you about your membership and REI (including information about your rewards, special offers only available to members, annual meetings, board elections, and our stewardship initiatives);
- provide, deliver, and develop new products and services, process transactions and returns, and send you related information, including confirmations, receipts, invoices, customer experience surveys, and recall notices;
- manage your accounts with us, provide technical support (including to debug and troubleshoot), and send you technical notices, updates, security alerts, support messages, and other transactional or relationship messages;
- detect, investigate, and help prevent security incidents, fraudulent transactions, and other malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activities and help protect the rights and property of REI and others;
- respond to your comments and questions and provide customer service;
- comply with our legal and financial obligations;
- monitor and analyze trends, usage, and activities in connection with our Services, stores, and experiences;
- tailor the content and information that we send or display to you, offer location customization and personalized recommendations, help, and instructions, and otherwise personalize your experience while using our Services;
- facilitate contests, promotions and sweepstakes, and process and deliver entries, rewards, and prizes; and
- carry out any other purpose conveyed to you at the time the information was collected.
What About Targeted Advertising and Analytics Services Provided by Others?
How Does Outdoor Rental Disclose Your Personal Information?
In certain circumstances, we disclose (or permit others to directly collect) information about you. The list below describes when and to whom we disclose the categories of personal information described in the What Personal Information Does Ourdoor Rental Collect? section above:
- with service providers, vendors, contractors, or agents who complete transactions or perform services on our behalf, such as those that assist us with our business and internal operations like shipping and delivery, rentals, payment processing, fraud prevention, customer service, surveys and market research, gift cards, experiences and events, co-branded financial products, personalization, data enrichment, analytics, marketing, and advertising;
- when you participate in the interactive areas of our Services (such as by creating a profile, posting comments and other content, reporting trail conditions, or writing reviews), certain information about you may be displayed publicly on our Services and on third-party sites. For example, your photos, videos, stories, posts, comments, product reviews, product questions and answers, wish lists, information about your participation in outdoor activities, and any other content or information you choose to provide in the interactive areas of our Services will be disclosed with users of our Services. In the case of trail conditions, we will also disclose certain information with third party organizations like rangers or other trail service organizations;
- with third parties that provide financing for your purchase if you decide to pay for a product in installments;
- if you choose to use integrations we offer on our Services, such as sharing your location through our Google Maps integration, we provide certain information to the third parties that provide the integrated products or services. These third parties will process such information in accordance with their own terms and privacy policies;
- with third parties that partner with us to offer co-branded events, sweepstakes, and other promotions;
- at your direction, including when you share actions you take on the Services with social media, and vice versa, submit a product review using a third party service or otherwise direct REI to disclose your personal information to a third party;
- in connection with, or during negotiations concerning, any merger or acquisition of all or a portion of our business by another company, joint venture, corporate reorganization, insolvency or bankruptcy, financing or sale of company assets;
- if we believe disclosure is in accordance with, or required by, any applicable law, regulation, or legal process, including lawful requests by public authorities to meet law enforcement or national security requirements;
- between and among REI and the REI Cooperative Action Fund and any current and future parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, and other entities under common control and ownership; and
- with your consent.
We also disclose aggregated or de-identified information, which cannot reasonably be used to identify you. REI processes, maintains, and uses this information only in a de-identified fashion and will not attempt to re-identify such information, except as permitted by law.
Where Does Outdoor Rental Process and Store Your Information?
We are based in the United States and process and store personal information on servers located in the U.S. We use third party service providers that may be located in, or have servers in, another country. Where required by law, we provide adequate protection for the transfer of personal information in accordance with applicable law, such as by obtaining your consent, relying on the European Commission’s adequacy decisions, executing Standard Contractual Clauses, or complying with another approved data transfer mechanism. Where relevant, you may request a copy of these Standard Contractual Clauses by contacting us at [email protected]
What Are Your Privacy Rights and Choices?
Account Information. You can access, correct, or delete certain information stored within your online account at any time by logging into your online account.
Promotional Communications. You may opt out of receiving promotional communications from REI by following the instructions in those communications or changing your preferences here. If you opt out of receiving promotional communications, we may still send you non-promotional emails, such as emails about your purchases, account, membership, or our ongoing business relations, including information about your rewards and our initiatives and activities.
Location Information. When you first launch any of our mobile apps that collect precise location information, you will be asked to consent to the app’s collection of this information. If you initially consent to our collection of such location information, you can subsequently stop the collection of this information at any time by changing the preferences on your mobile device.
Mobile Push Notifications/Alerts. With your consent, we may send promotional and non-promotional push notifications or alerts to your mobile device. You can deactivate these messages at any time by changing the notification settings on your mobile device.
Cookies. Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually adjust your browser settings to remove or reject browser cookies. You can also adjust certain cookie settings . Please note that removing or rejecting cookies could affect the availability and functionality of our Services.